Former Democratic Rep. Corrine Brown was found guilty on 18 separate counts in a corruption trial. She was charged with 22 accusations related to the alleged use of charity funds as a personal slush fund.
Brown was found guilty on counts 1, 2, 4, 6-13, 15, 17, 19, and 21-24. She was found not guilty on counts 3, 5, 14, and 16. Counts 18 and 20 were not against Brown.
Here are the counts:
- Count 1 is a conspiring to commit mail and wire fraud charge.
- Counts 2 through 8 are aiding and abetting mail fraud charges.
- Counts 9 through 17 are aiding and abetting wire fraud charges.
- Count 19 is an engaging in a scheme to hide facts charge.
- Count 21 is a corruptly endeavoring to abstract and impede IRS laws filing her tax returns for tax years 2008 – 2014 charge.
- Count 22 is a charge alleging filing false U.S. individual income tax returns in 2012.
- Count 23 is a charge alleging filing false U.S. individual income tax returns in 2013.
- Count 24 is a charge alleging filing false U.S. individual income tax returns in 2014.
Of the $833,000 raised by Brown’s “One Door For Education” charity, only $1,200 was given to students who should have received all of the money. The rest was used for various different purposes unrelated to the charity.
According to her defense, while raising the money and asking for other funds, she did not know it was a fake charity. She also says she didn’t know her chief of staff was putting thousands into her account and taking well over $100,000 for himself. $330,000 were used to fund events like receptions, tickets to see Beyonce and an NFL game and a golf tournament, reports Independent Journal Review.
Brown served as Representative for Florida’s fifth Congressional district before losing an August primary election in the wake of her federal indictment. She had a 24-years-long career in Congress. Al Lawson (D-FL) currently holds the seat Brown once served in.
A sentencing date for Brown has not yet been set.
What do you think about this? Share this on Facebook or Twitter SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE
The post Former Democratic Rep. Corrine Brown Found Guilty On 18 Counts In Her Corruption Trial appeared first on Federalist Tribune.